Jim Steinman

It was with some sadness that I heard of Jim Steinman's passing today (although it happened 2 days ago).  So, when I had a few hours to kill I decided to listen to his solo album again, and consider some of his contributions to other parts of my collection...

I first heard of Jim when I heard songs from Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album.  It was originally released in October of 1977, but I did not purchase it until September of the following year.  It was a album that made the statement 'This is what a rock album is supposed to sound like."  Nothing like it had come prior.  It was loud, bombastic, theatrical, rock with great catch phrases, awesome melodies, and, of course, Meat Loaf's operatic-like voice.

It wasn't for another three years until I could hear anything new from Mr. Steinman, when he came out with a 1-2 punch: Mr. Steinman's only solo album, "Bad For Good" (which I finally picked up in May of 1983), and then Meat Loaf's under-appreciated, but excellent, follow-up to Bat Out of Hell; "Dead Ringer," (which I purchased in November of 1981).  Bad for Good was originally intended for Meat Loaf, but apparently due to Meat Loaf's health at the time and industry pressures for a Bat Out of Hell follow-up, Jim Steinman recorded it himself, however Meat Loaf would eventually include 7 of the 10 songs from Bad for Good on future albums.


Of course, when you think of Jim Steinman, you almost automatically think of Meat Loaf; four of Meat Loaf's albums (Bat Out of Hell, Dead Ringer, Bat Out of Hell II, and Braver Than We Are) are written entirely by Jim, although tracks written by Jim appear on some of Meat Loaf's other albums (Bad Attitude, Welcome to the Neighbourhood, Bat Out of Hell III).  In addition, a stylised image of Jim Steinman is included alongside one of Meat Loaf on the cover of Meat Loaf's most recent (and likely last) album, "Braver Than We Are."


Many people will know of some of Jim Steinman's other contributions to music history, with songs that he has written being sung by the likes of Barry Manilow, Air Supply, Celine Dion, Fire Inc., and Pandora's Box to name a few.  I have the album by Air Supply with the iconic "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" on it.  I wish I had the Pandora's Box album (it is in my list on Amazon, awaiting the right time - I'm talking to you, pandemic - to purchase it).  What I do have, as well, in my collection are some other works that Jim Steinman has been involved in: the songs he gave to Bonnie Tyler, the tracks he wrote/produced for Sisters of Mercy, and the stage musical of "Bat Out of Hell."

Jim Steinman, you, and your talent, will be missed, but your legacy lives on.


A mid August postscript - I managed to pick up a copy of Pandora's Box through the Discogs marketplace and it arrived today.  Yay, another Steinman related album in my collection!



Comments

Popular Posts