Kimbra - discography so far

Kimbra hails from Hamilton, New Zealand.  She is likely known to many people as the co-singer of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know."  When I heard her debut album, "Vows," I was hooked.  The entire album is brilliant, with a lot of 'flair' and I love the experimental nature of her voice.  I managed to get the deluxe edition, which comes with a second disc of 6 bonus tracks (I accidentally purchased a second deluxe edition recently, thinking I only had the regular edition - duh!).  There is another edition that has a DVD of "Live at Sing Sing Studios" where she performs 5 songs from the album - I have sourced that online, but the shipping cost was too high.  Wikipedia mentions a remix version of the "Vows" album (7 tracks), but I haven't seen it in physical form - it's likely just digital.

The second album, "The Golden Echo," I disliked at first.  Now I enjoy one of the album tracks as well as the bonus tracks and the rest of the album is listenable.  It doesn't live up to the expectations that the first album set - I feel she was pressured into reining in her voice, sort of doing a more 'mainstream' album, and it suffers because of this.  I have the deluxe edition with 3 bonus tracks (which is missing the track "Vanity Fair" - a hidden track only on the vinyl version).

I picked up the third album on vinyl.  I loved the track "Everybody Knows."  "Version of Me" is also alluring.  For me, this is a stronger set of songs than the second album, but still not as accessible as the first.  There was a remix 2x7" EP released, "Songs from Primal Heart: Reimagined" with 4 of the album tracks remixed.  I don't have that.

Recently Kimbra hosted the revamped NZ reality show "Popstars" and, in the show's finale, she  performed the first single from the forthcoming 4th album.  The song is called "Replay" and, on first listen, I hated it: I felt it was a song with a type of bipolar passive/aggressive complex.  I guess I likely will not be buying the album when it is released, unless the rest of the album is vastly different from that.

Update (March 2022): There has been mention online that Kimbra will release a 4th album this year.  I am tentatively looking forward to it.  I only hope that she has opted for a different sound than that of "Replay."

Comments

Popular Posts