Meat Loaf (discography)

Today I received the one Meat Loaf studio album I was missing.  I bought it second-hand, but it's in great condition.  I'm listening to it as I write this.  My first Meat Loaf album was Bat Out of Hell, purchased in 1978, and then I bought his debut, with Stoney, 2 years later.  

 

Amongst my collection I have a couple of live albums: Live at Wembley being included in the 5CD box set I got, and an Australian Tour Edition bonus live disc that came with Couldn't Have Said it Better.


Based upon the quality of Meat Loaf's voice (or lack thereof) on his most recent album Braver Than We Are, I doubt he will release any more new music, so I am reasonably confident this will be a complete discography.  Throughout his career, Meat Loaf had a rather tempestuous relationship with Jim Steinman (who died earlier this year - see my post on his contribution to music), but it is rather obvious the two had some chemistry together, with Meat's voice perfectly matching Jim's grandiose rock music.  My favourite albums of Meat Loaf's are ones where Jim Steinman wrote all of the tracks, those being Bat Out of Hell and Dead Ringer (which is very underrated).

One interesting piece of trivia: according to Wikipedia, is that Meat has released 12 solo albums (I include his joint venture with Stoney as a Meat Loaf album too, making it 13), yet there have been 18 compilation albums released.  Talk about milking the stone.

Update January 2022: Sad to learn of Meat Loaf's passing a week ago, and so close to Jim's passing too.  I wrote the following post for the website superdeluxeedition.com (although it somehow got stuck on their site so it only shows up on my account comments page and not on the Meat Loaf thread itself)...

"At the age of 15 I bought Bat Out of Hell on vinyl in '78 - my 6th record purchase. I loved it. My Dad even loved it. I scoured record shops for more Meat Loaf content and eventually found his earlier 'debut' Stoney and Meat Loaf, which was a totally different sound but I was happy that I had uncovered more music by him. A couple of years later I snapped up Dead Ringer as soon as I saw it, and loved it just as much as BOoH, albeit in a slightly different way - it seems rather melancholy and always tugs at my emotions. I grabbed Midnight at the Lost and Found, and Bad Attitude upon release as well as the Rocky Horror soundtrack. It was then more than 10 years before I came late to the party to purchase BOoH II. Over the past 7 years I have filled in the gaps in my Meat Loaf collection, with the most recent purchase just 6 months ago. Meat Loaf, I guess you can say that you have been a part of my life for a very long time. You have given your heart and soul to rock and rock. What more could I ask of one of my favourite artists. For that, I thank you."

Comments

Popular Posts