Mi-Sex

I saw Mi-Sex in concert in Tauranga, New Zealand, probably in 1980 or 1981.  I can't recall if they were the headliners or were supporting a bigger act, like the Enz, but I do remember I liked their sound very much.  I am sure I had the first, and possibly the second, album on vinyl at some point, but I don't have those now - I was burgled a few times in the 80s and 90s, so perhaps they were taken during one of those instances (although I thought it was my CD collection that was decimated back then).

Anyway, in 1986 I picked up the vinyl record of their fourth album, "Where Do They Go?" even though it was not the strongest.

In 2015 I found a 3CD box set containing their first three albums, so leapt at the chance to own it.  The raw power of "Graffiti Crimes" and the smoother pop of "Space Race" are amazing (check them out if you are unfamiliar with Mi-Sex).

The lead singer, Steve Gilpin, died in 1992.  In 2016 the rest of the band reformed with Steve Balbi on lead vocals, and they released a 5th album "Not From Here," but I've found it doesn't even sound like Mi-Sex, so I haven't bothered to add that to my collection.


Comments

Popular Posts